Tuesday 22 August 2017

Summer by the Sea at High Tide

Sometimes you just HAVE to have a stamp set you see, regardless of whether it's current or not. For me it has been Summer by the Sea, which was released oh so long ago in 2004! I first saw it on The Joy of Sets Facebook Page and was so lucky when someone offered to sell me it when I added my request to an ISO page.


 I love the delicate drawings, they almost sweep me up in a hug. I look at them and feel that no matter what, everything will work out right in the end.


I wanted to use High Tide with my chosen image as I felt they would combine well. First of all I roughly sketched my idea in my notebook. Then, to check it would fit, I plotted my card size on the squared paper and roughly stamped the design in basic black ink. It meant I could see where adjustments, if any, needed making prior to committing on good card.

Once ready I stamped the girl onto Shimmer card. Then using my precision press, I placed the first of the lighthouse stamps; this is a 2 stage stamp set. I used Dapper Denim and stamped off on scrap paper first to get a lighter version. I then used the second lighthouse stamp, using the ink at full strength, I found it easier to do this and then add the outcrop the lighthouse stands on.


I stamped my image onto a post it note, incorporating the adhesive, and cut it out to create a mask. When stamping scenes where you layer stamps, always start with the image in the foreground. If you've never attempted this all will become apparent soon.


I also created a light wash in So Saffron for the sand to help tie in the lighthouse.


Place the mask over the corresponding image. For this dexign I didn't need to cut it all out.


I then placed the dry stamp where it needed to be to check my mask would work. Once happy with the placement it was time to ink up and go for broke. I also stamped over my colourwash very lightly to continue the sandy look.


Still using the mask and also using one for the lighthouse, I stamped the water. A quick colour wash for the sky finished the background. So far, so good.

Masks were removed so that I could colour the girl. Did you know that a mix of Blushing Bride and Crumb Cake make a great Caucasian skin tone? I stamped a few tufts of grass too. Finally before mounting onto my base card, I let my image dry and then weighted it under a box of dies to flatten out.


I hope you like the finished card,




No comments:

Post a Comment