|Oops, did you spot the lids?|
To be perfectly honest, I started this card several months ago, putting it to one side as I wasn't happy with the original results. A friend did happen to point out that I'd managed to stick the lids upside down but even placing them the right way round still didn't solve the problem. It just looked dull; I love the idea of it but in reality it doesn't work for me.
So, what to do? Well, I've changed the colour of the lids and screwdriver handle. Any better? A little but not much. Should I just scrap it? Like I say, I love the idea.... then I had a thought. Why can't I just show that sometimes we all have cards that don't quite work for one reason or another? It's only time, a bit of card and adhesive that's wasted so not the end of the world. And really it's a learning curve, I might not be able to work out how to improve this card, but at least I know what doesn't work on the next one! Who knows, someone else might see it and love it.
On reflection, I think that the problem may have been the use of Pool Party card stock; I was trying to get an effect of painted and slightly distressed wood but it looks too heavy. Maybe using white card and giving it a light colourwash would have worked better. I think maybe another day I'll have to make some time to experiment with some background techniques. All that remained was to add a sentiment, I think it managed to lift the colour a little in the end